Saturday, June 15, 2013

Tragic: Nigerian Cab Driver Stabbed In Eye To Death With An Umbrella In New York (Video)

Hopes dashed: Orji-Ama Uro, 54, was a father of five who immigrated to the U.S. from Nigeria in pursuit of the American dream

 At approximately 5:30 P.M there was an altercation between a livery cab driver and his two male passengers. The cab had New Jersey livery plates. As a result of the altercation, one of the passengers stabbed the driver in the neck and they both fled. The injured driver lost control of his vehicle, drove onto the sidewalk, and crashed into two parked vehicles. The driver managed to get out of the car and collapse. EMS was summoned, and he was taken to Brookdale Hospital where he was pronounced DOA. -- Photo by Richard York
54-year-old Orji-Ama Uro, a father of five from Nigeria living in Rosedale, New York was savagely killed after a passenger stabbed him through the eye with an umbrella, piercing his brain, during a dispute. 

Uro had just let a man and a woman out of his cab on Thomas S. Boyland St. in Brownsville, Brooklyn when the pair began to argue with the driver about 5 p.m on Thursday. The suspect, a man believed to be in his 20s, then jabbed the umbrella through Uro's right eye piercing his brain before he hit the gas and crashed into a couple of parked cars outside a Lott Ave. home.

He was rushed to Brookdale Hospital, where he was pronounced dead a short time later. Police are viewing surveillance footage from the area and talking to witnesses as they are working to track down the suspects
The New York State Federation of Taxi Drivers is offering a $3,000 reward for information leading to the suspects’ arrest. The group 100 Blacks in Law Enforcement Who Care is offering another $2,000.

Investigation: Police are viewing surveillance footage from the area and talking to witnesses as they are working to track down the suspects
According to the victim's family, Uro was a father of five who emigrated to the U.S. from Nigeria 10 years ago in pursuit of the American dream, which for him was opening his own shore store.

Chinedoum Agwu, Uro's sister-in-law, said that his children, two sons and three daughters between the ages of 16 and 23 arrived from Nigeria in December. She described her slain brother-in-law as a very hardworking and responsible man who regularly attended services at a Jehovah's Witness church. 

She said Uro worked long hours as a cabbie so he could support his family, but he was always nervous about the dangers that came with the job. “He wanted to stop doing that and find something else, because it’s a dangerous job,” Agwu said. He worried about being killed a lot. And we worried, too.”

Orji was supposed to go to Agwu’s house to celebrate Father’s Day on Sunday. Now the family is getting ready to send his body back to Nigeria. 

Too sad, may he rest in peace! 

No comments:

Post a Comment