Saturday, May 4, 2013

Interview: Alex Ekubo Addresses Gay Relationship With Uti Nwachukwu

The model and fast rising actor speaks opens up to Bella Naija about his relationship with Uti and addresses the gay rumours.

Read the excerpts from his interview;

You always seem to be paired up with your colleague and friend, Uti Nwachukwu at such events. Why?
Uti is my brother and my friend who has been there for me through thick and thin. What a lot of people don’t know is that we have a lot in common. He is a model, I am a model; he is an actor, I am an actor. Most times, we don’t even go together to events but I can’t see him outside and act as if I don’t know him. If people want to misconstrue it, then happy thinking to them.

Your relationship with him has been tagged a romantic one on several occasions with people insinuating that you are gay partners. How do you feel about this?
It’s hilarious! Back in the days, when you have a friend who you go out with often, it was cool, people called him your best friend. Now, when they see two guys together, people begin to have weird thoughts. You see, in this business of entertainment, what you need is someone that believes in you to grow. Uti is big, and he helped me a lot prior to now that I’m beginning to gather my momentum. He is a ‘Big Brother Africa All Stars’ Winner. You can hate him but you can’t take that away from him. A lot of these local celebrities, outside Victoria Island nobody knows them. Uti is someone who grandmothers and pepper sellers know. We were in Ghana recently and the President of Ghana saw Uti at the Airport and recognized him. You can’t hate on success.


Where do you think the rumours originated from?
I don’t care and I am not bothered. Nigerians have what I call the crab mentality. Have you seen a bunch of crabs in a bucket? When one is trying to come out, the others pull it down. If these insinuations were true, by now there should be a picture to prove it. Look at most successful Nigerian entertainers, they were either tagged gay or Illuminati which I find weird. You see some girls acting their lives away on TV and people tag them as “runs girls”. Almost every young, successful entertainer has a negative tag and it is disheartening.

The word on the streets is that you both live together. Is that true?
Yes we do. But is it anybody’s problem who I live with or who Uti lives with? We all know how expensive it is to live in a highbrow area in Lagos. If you have a friend who you are getting along with and you want to live with each other, is that anybody’s problem?

How does this rumour affect your career?
It doesn’t affect my career because to me, I am just living my life. I’ve never come out to refute anything because I don’t owe anybody any explanation. It’s my life.

Talking about refuting, you kinda took it hard on Twitter recently when in response to a Tweet “Are you truly Uti Nwachukwu’s gay partner?” you replied “Did your father truly molest you when you were a child?” Where did that come from?
Sometimes, people forget that even as celebrities, we are human. Sometimes you are in the mood or not in the mood when you reply tweets. It was just a spur of the moment thing. I had to do that so that he can also experience how it feels when people are asked that sort of question.

Let’s take our chat away from Uti now and talk about the lady in your life. Who is Alex dating?
So you people can bring her online and dissect her life and generation, abi?

Funny, but no. We just want to know her.
I like to keep my life private. The records are there, I don’t have to prove anything. The Igbos say “You can’t learn to be left handed in an old age” and the English people would say “You can’t teach an old dog new tricks”. I don’t need to tell everyone who I’m dating to prove anything. When the right time comes, you would know who the person is.

No comments:

Post a Comment