Saturday, January 19, 2013

Video: Bulgarian Politician Survives Assassination Attempt at Close Range While he Makes Speech Live On TV

Bulgarian politician Ahmed Dogan looks at the gunman as he holds a gun at his head and misfires
The unnamed man clearly had a security pass for the Movement for Rights and Freedom party's annual conferenceMr Dogan reaches out to try and stop the gunman from targeting him during the assassination attempt
Ahmed Dogan, today survived an extraordinary assassination attempt when a man stormed the stage and held a gun to his head as he was giving a speech at a conference in capital, Sofia.

Fortunately for the politician and leader of the Movement for Rights and Freedoms, the weapon misfired giving him time to react and hit the would-be assassins hand out of the way. Before he can attempt a second shot the unidentified suspect is tackled to the ground by security guards and delegates attending the conference.

Television footage showed the man jumping out of the audience and interrupting a speech by 58-year-old Dogan, who has led the party for almost a quarter of a century. 

In a split second, he raises the gun to Mr Dogan's head but it appears to misfire. The politician then knocks the gun away and falls to the floor as he attempts to flee.

Security guards and delegates rush onto the stage where they wrestle the attacker to the ground. A separate group surrounds a shocked Mr Dogan in a protective shield. 

Politicians then appear from the audience and begin raining blows on the suspect as he is pinned to the ground. He was later pictured being taken away by police bloodied and bruised.

'Ahmed Dogan is in good health. Everything is under control,' Movement for Rights and Freedoms official Ceyhan Ibryamov told journalists.

Two men stand over the gun that was used in the apparent assassination attempt

Mr Dogan is left to fend for himself on the stage after the gunman approached at the conference centre in Sofia

The unidentified would-be assassin is tackled to the ground by party members and security people

The scene became frantic as more people went over to help apprehend the man

A 25-year-old man, pictured with a bloodied face after being tackled by security officials, was arrested at the scene

No comments:

Post a Comment